The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:01:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Great Russian Finales!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Russian Finales!  (Read 1521 times)
kyjo
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:50:35 pm »

It has often occured to me how consistently great the finales of many Russian (and, to a lesser extent, Soviet) multi-movement works are. Maybe it's just because I have a passion for Russian music, but whatever the case, I believe that Russian finales are some of the most exciting and captivating ever written :). It's pretty much justifiable to say that all of Tchaikovsky's numbered symphonies (it's actually been a while since I've given Manfred a listen, can't remember its finale) have masterful finales:

-In Symphony 1, the festive finale finally breaks through the winter clouds and creates a jubilant atmosphere, complete with great brass writing.
-In the finale of 2, the two catchy Ukranian folk tunes are used to great effect. Gotta love the gong crash near the end and the silence that follows it!
-In the finale of 3, Tchaik has really started to mature in his symphonic writing. The polonaise theme is a driving force for the whole movement, successfully synthesizing a dance form with symphonic structure.
-In the finale of 4, a joyful folk song emerges, only to be interrupted by a foreceful, almost scary, return of the "fate" theme from the first movement. The symphony concludes on a jubilant high, though.
-The finale of 5 is one of my favorite, if not my very favorite, symphonic movements of all time. The noble theme keeps developing until a faster section in the minor develops. In the middle of this section, one of the most beautiful of Tchaikovskian melodies is played by the violins. Later on, the main theme returns in all its maestoso glory. The symphony ends leaving you leaping out of your chair.
-Of course, the slow finale of 6 is quite different, but is still masterful and innovative, to say the least. The climax and ending of the movement can give the listener chills, if played the right way.

Need I go on? There are plenty more examples out there-Rachmaninov Symphonies 1 and 2 and PCs 2 and 3, Shostakovich Symphony 5, Khachaturian Symphony 2, Borodin Symphony 2, Myaskovsky Symphony 6-the list goes on! So, what to members here think about Russian composers' uncanny ability to write stirring finales and what are some other, more "unsung" examples of great Russian finales :)?

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:24:34 am »

It has often occured to me how consistently great the finales of many Russian (and, to a lesser extent, Soviet) multi-movement works are. Maybe it's just because I have a passion for Russian music, but whatever the case, I believe that Russian finales are some of the most exciting and captivating ever written :). It's pretty much justifiable to say that all of Tchaikovsky's numbered symphonies (it's actually been a while since I've given Manfred a listen, can't remember its finale) have masterful finales:

-In Symphony 1, the festive finale finally breaks through the winter clouds and creates a jubilant atmosphere, complete with great brass writing.
-In the finale of 2, the two catchy Ukranian folk tunes are used to great effect. Gotta love the gong crash near the end and the silence that follows it!
-In the finale of 3, Tchaik has really started to mature in his symphonic writing. The polonaise theme is a driving force for the whole movement, successfully synthesizing a dance form with symphonic structure.
-In the finale of 4, a joyful folk song emerges, only to be interrupted by a foreceful, almost scary, return of the "fate" theme from the first movement. The symphony concludes on a jubilant high, though.
-The finale of 5 is one of my favorite, if not my very favorite, symphonic movements of all time. The noble theme keeps developing until a faster section in the minor develops. In the middle of this section, one of the most beautiful of Tchaikovskian melodies is played by the violins. Later on, the main theme returns in all its maestoso glory. The symphony ends leaving you leaping out of your chair.
-Of course, the slow finale of 6 is quite different, but is still masterful and innovative, to say the least. The climax and ending of the movement can give the listener chills, if played the right way.

Need I go on? There are plenty more examples out there-Rachmaninov Symphonies 1 and 2 and PCs 2 and 3, Shostakovich Symphony 5, Khachaturian Symphony 2, Borodin Symphony 2, Myaskovsky Symphony 6-the list goes on! So, what to members here think about Russian composers' uncanny ability to write stirring finales and what are some other, more "unsung" examples of great Russian finales :)?

Concerning Khachaturian his best symphony is the First IMHO.The Second is too much long and inflated, Third is bombastic and without clear developement.
 :)
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:27:39 am »

I, too love Russian orchestral music and especially finales, but my favorite of all is Taneyev Symphony No. 2. Picks you up and carries you beyond the end of the sounds. Oh, yes, and it requires one to turn up the volume, stand up and "conduct" madly!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:06:56 am »

Toby, what recording of the Khachaturian Symphony 2 made you think it was long and inflated? I own the recording conducted by the composer (by far the best recording IMO) on a Double Decca CD-it is definitely a powerful and memorable piece in this rendition :). Please give the symphony another listen, especially in this marvelous performance :). But, each to his own, I guess, if you can't come to appreciate the piece! I do agree with you about the Third, though. It's pretty much noise and not much else ;D!
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 05:27:57 am »

It's a well-made point about Russian/Soviet finales :)

Probably the most 'outrageous' Soviet-style finale I can think of is Prokofiev's 'War & Peace' - the finale takes nearly 5 minutes (!) and consists of a complete review of all the troops participating in the Battle of Borodino in 1812!

Prokofiev excelled at these pompous endings - 'Alexander Nevsky' is another in the same vein ;)

I think these were very often 'welded on' to the end of soviet-era works - in the hope that if the Party officials (on whose favour future success depended) had dozed off, or become irritated by parts of the work in the middle, they would at least go marching down the stairs humming the big tune as they left the building :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »

I bought the Naxos reissue of Rubinsteins 3rd symphony a few weeks ago. After struggling through the Fourth,(dear oh dear! ::))I quite enjoyed this one. The finale was a suprise. Very exciting in places & if memory serves me correctly a gong stroke right at the end,which took me completely by suprise. I was halfway upstairs (cordless headphones!) & I was lucky to stay vertical! :o

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 07:04:44 pm »

I could have just been in a good mood,of course! :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 08:03:20 pm »

Thanks, cilgwyn-I'll have to give Rubinstein 3 a listen! As for pompous endings by Prokofiev, I can think of some others:
-both the Troika and the Wedding of Lt. Kije from the Lieutenant Kije Suite
-the Gavotte in G minor for piano, op. 12(?) (I am currently learning this piece!)
...but they're not finales :o! Back on topic, the Shostakovich Symphony 1 has a great finale-got to love the timpani solo ;D!
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 10:33:11 pm »

I think no one mentioned Borodin's second symphone finale. If people like Polovetsk dances this is finale for them.

I am sure there are better examples. Thaikovsky's 1812 overture is of course big not finale.
There are finale from  ballets or operas.
What about  Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade finale. Maybe it is a bit subdued at the end.
Will that qualify?

Rachmaninoff's 2 symphony finale is very good send off home.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 11:03:46 pm »

Since not everyone would regard many compositions by Rubinstein as exciting,I'd better have another listen now! ;D He has his supporters,though. I have heard his Fifth (which I bought recently) is possibly his best & most 'Russian' sounding symphony & I shall be having another listen soon!
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 12:27:31 am »

Toby, what recording of the Khachaturian Symphony 2 made you think it was long and inflated? I own the recording conducted by the composer (by far the best recording IMO) on a Double Decca CD-it is definitely a powerful and memorable piece in this rendition :). Please give the symphony another listen, especially in this marvelous performance :). But, each to his own, I guess, if you can't come to appreciate the piece! I do agree with you about the Third, though. It's pretty much noise and not much else ;D!

I have Vienna Orchestra conducted by Khachaturian himself.Perhaps maybe the old sound quality i can't understand meaning of 2 movement and IMHO there aren't links between tragical and triumphalistic parts.Surely Great Patriotic War was a powerful inspiration but in this case IMHO it doesn't work(i prefer n°22 by Myaskovsky).Why was him so obsessed with Dies Irae? I remind in 1-2 and violin concerto?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 12:52:35 am »

Thanks for your responses, everyone! Like I mentioned in my first post, the finales of the second symphonies of Borodin and Rachmaninov are both superb :). The latter has a festive, almost relentlessly driven mood that really makes you start conducting in your listening chair! I especially love the part near the end where the tempo broadens with a glorious descending theme in the violins, which accelerates and gallops towards the end, with the signature Rachmaninov rythm (if you know what I mean) ending the piece :). Scheherazade's hushed, magical ending would certainly qualify as well :). Re Toby's response-Like I said, each to his own! For me, at least, there seems to be a clear "darkness to light" progression from the tragic first movement to the triumphant finale that makes the symphony very convincing and powerful :).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 01:13:06 am »

:-[ Well,this is EXTREMELY embarassing! The gong I was referring to occurs towards the end of the 'Eroica Fantasia' fill-up,not the third symphony. This is what comes of listening on cordless headphones while doing things (You can't see the tracking on the cd player,because it's in another room! ).Dear oh dear!! I quite like old Anton Rubinstein at his best,but this sort of thing REALLY doesn't help his cause!! ;D My excuse,I bought symphonies 3-5,a few weeks ago & had one perfunctory listen through,while working! :-[
A big gong for me,I think!!! :( :-[

Regarding Russian finales I DO know well enough to comment on. I would put Rachmaninov Symphonies 1 & 2 and Scriabin No 2 right near the top!

Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 02:03:36 am »

IMHO among soviet symphonies better finales are Myaskovsky's 27 and Shebalin's 5.Despite the fact that composers are on the edge of death they showed an indomitable vitality
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 02:06:34 am »

My gosh-how could I forget the finale of Scriabin 2 :o :o! I knew I was forgetting something in my first post ::)! Thanks for reminding me of it, cilgwyn-it's one of my all-time favorite symphonic movements :). What a stirring, uplifting eight minutes of music-rare for Scriabin, considering he was usually preoccupied with mysticism.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: