The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:32:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ravel's early cantatas

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ravel's early cantatas  (Read 552 times)
guest2
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:08:13 am »

Among Ravel's early works are three cantatas: Myrrha (1901), Alcyone (1902), and Alyssa (1903). They are seldom performed, and did not win him any prizes at the time, but when recently I heard a broadcast of Alyssa from France I was very favourably impressed! But it contains hardly a hint of his later style. Perhaps I can upload an extract here.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roehre
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:17:40 pm »

I like those (unRavelian) pieces, ever since I heard them for thefirst time in the early 1980s, shortly after they were evenutally published.  I got an EMI-CD (EMI 5.57032-2) with all three of them, which I fullheartedly recommend.

But as Naxos has recently released a recording of the early Berlioz cantatas, I might be an idea to wait for them, and try to get an upload somewhere.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:24:12 pm »

Here is a version of Alyssa; sorry to say the announcements are in Swedish! It goes on for twenty-seven minutes, and is in flac format. The size is 97,965,692 bytes; it could have been smaller if converted to mp3 or rm, but I did not want to reduce the "fidelity."
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: