The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:58:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stjepan Sulek Symphony no 3

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stjepan Sulek Symphony no 3  (Read 684 times)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:16:44 pm »

There was a pretty good selection of the orchestral music of Croatian composer Stjepan Sulek, including most (all?) of the symphonies, most of which is still available on The Other Forum, but there were recurrent issues with the availability of the first movement of the third.  Does anybody have a copy of Sulek's intact third symphony, or even just the elusive first movement, which they would be willing to upload to the present forum?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:31 am »

I have 3 movements totaling over 25 minutes. The first movement is titled Allegro. If this is what you want I can upload the symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 02:38:26 am »

I, for one, would be very grateful if you could upload those three movements, Frank, and I'm sure many other members would too :).
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:28:24 am »

THat, good sir, is precisely what I'm looking for, and I would accept your kind offer with gratitude!
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 03:13:05 am »

And just like that it's done!  Many thanks, Fr8nk, both for Sulek 3 as well as the two Kalsons pieces I asked to be reuploaded.  Your kindness is greatly appreciated!
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 06:54:00 am »

Is this the symphony with the linked scherzo and finale?  If so could anybody provide the movement names of the last two movements?  By this, I mean tempos, not just titles.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:51:44 am »

Many thanks from me also, Frank :). Now we have all the Sulek symphonies ;D!
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 02:47:43 pm »

OK.  I found it in the other forum.  This one has a slow finale (Larghetto), right?  I'd still like the tempo of the scherzo, if anyone has it available.
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 06:22:53 am »

OK.  I found it in the other forum.  This one has a slow finale (Larghetto), right?  I'd still like the tempo of the scherzo, if anyone has it available.

The three movement titles are: Allegro non troppo, Scherzo: Allegro, Larghetto.
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 02:51:22 pm »

Thanks!  I've been trying to build some attention for this composer from the conductor of a major American orchestra, if you've been following my adventures on Phaze.  ;D I've send her several CDs already and gotten a lot of positive feedback and one possible performance of the Raff piano concerto in the works, although no firm commitment to it. 
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19:46 pm »

Wonderful, Jim! Now if only I could get my local orchestra to play something that I haven't already heard 100 times before ::)...
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 08:56:50 pm »

Wonderful, Jim! Now if only I could get my local orchestra to play something that I haven't already heard 100 times before ::)...
And 50 of them by them!
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 06:54:10 am »

I find myself having a problem, having downloaded the piece and given it a preliminary hearing.  The Larghetto doesn't seem to end in the nominal tonality of the piece.  It's almost as if there's a finale missing, unless this is a work that uses progressive tonality.  Are you absolutely sure this is all there is of the symphony?
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:41:27 am »

I find myself having a problem, having downloaded the piece and given it a preliminary hearing.  The Larghetto doesn't seem to end in the nominal tonality of the piece.  It's almost as if there's a finale missing, unless this is a work that uses progressive tonality.  Are you absolutely sure this is all there is of the symphony?

You are right. However, I have heard different performances of this symphony, one of them from a live broadcast, and none had more movements than this. It is true that the Violin Concerto, from the same period, is unambiguously in D Major. However, the Fourth Symphony from two years later, nominally in D minor, also uses some kind of progressive tonality: the whole beginning is tonally very ambiguous. The Third starts in E minor and ends in C flat minor, the relative not of E minor, but of E major. From what I know of his harmonic language, this kind of biased correspondence seems likely enough.
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 11:32:14 am »

You are right. However, I have heard different performances of this symphony, one of them from a live broadcast, and none had more movements than this. It is true that the Violin Concerto, from the same period, is unambiguously in D Major. However, the Fourth Symphony from two years later, nominally in D minor, also uses some kind of progressive tonality: the whole beginning is tonally very ambiguous. The Third starts in E minor and ends in C flat minor, the relative not of E minor, but of E major. From what I know of his harmonic language, this kind of biased correspondence seems likely enough.

Where can I find the violin concerto you mentioned?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: