The Art-Music Forum
September 18, 2019, 01:06:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Links to videos of compositions by little-known composers

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Links to videos of compositions by little-known composers  (Read 1851 times)
the Administration
Administrator
Level 3

Times thanked: 43

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2018, 12:22:43 pm »

(From Dundonnell in my capacity as an Administrator.)

Frankly my patience is becoming exhausted.

Most members probably are at least familiar with You Tube. Many probably use it either to listen to uploaded music or to download music from it. What individual members do in this regard is entirely a matter of personal choice.

Equally, what people choose to upload to You Tube is entirely up to them. The availability on You Tube of music derived from LPs which are no longer available from the company which originally issed them or of music which was broadcast by radio networks has brought an unbelieveable amount of neglected music to our attention and, if downloaded by any of us, to our collections.

It could and has been argued that it is at best "improper" to upload radio broacasts. This could be debated endlessly but the "horse has bolted". It is widespread practice and the radio networks appear to have no desire or intention of taking You Tube to court over the practice.

Speaking personally (and since I have yet to hear from other members on this issue) I DO have a serious issue with the uploading to You Tube of commercially available cds. There has been some speculation about the attitude of the companies involved on here but we have no clear word from them. It seems to me however something which, although it may be argued offers the companies and particular cds some publicity, is ultimately extremely dangerous for the future of these companies.

Firms like CPO, BIS, Chandos, Lyrita, Dutton etc etc are not operating on huge profit margins. Some struggle to survive. Their source of income obviously depends on them selling their cds to a small (albeit devoted) public. There may well be those who, having heard a cd in full and in total on You Tube, will then go out and purchase that cd. There will however be many others who will not do so, who will be content that they now have the music, downloaded from You Tube without paying a penny to the company-the company which has scrambled around to find the cash to pay an orchestra, a conductor, a choir, soloists, whatever.

This site is not a sub-forum of You Tube. We have always encouraged members who have recordings of music not otherwise available to the public to share these. We have all benefited enormously from the generosity of our members in this respect. If there is music uploaded to You Tube from non-commercial sources (ie which is not currently on cd) we have shared this information with others.

What we do not permit is members posting uploads of commercial cds or links to such uploads. If a piece of music was broadcast we allow it to be shared but the music or link is deleted if/when the same performance becomes available on cd.

If we now allow the posting of You Tube videos which are taken directly from a commercial cd we are undermining the very principles on which the rules of this Forum are based and damaging the interests and jeopardising the future of the record companies. Reposting the You Tube videos of this kind  is in essence a direct way of clearly pointing members towards the ability and opportunity to download this music at no cost to themselves.

I wrote last night that I was uncomfortable with this. Having thought further about the matter I am more than uncomfortable. I cannot endorse the practice and can be no part of it. As an administrator I took on certain responsibilities and obligations. I cannot perform such duties if this practice continues.

I repeat-with all possible emphasis-that I have no difficulties (and this site has never had any real difficulties, despite the reservations of certain respected members) with the uploading, downloading, advertising etc of You Tube videos which are NOT commercial cds.

I have Unlocked this topic in an attempt to encourage (indeed to positively solicit!) debate and discussion.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: