The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:13:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sydney Grew's Index Nominum

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sydney Grew's Index Nominum  (Read 705 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:23:26 am »

I think that we should acknowledge the superb and mammoth task undertaken on our behalf in indexing the composers whose music is available for download from this site :) :)

I am also personally extraordinarily grateful to him for providing links to my catalogues, where these exist, for specific composers :)

The pleasure derived in attempting to make the more obscure composers and their music more accessible to others makes all the hours/days/weeks/months of sweat and effort worthwhile ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:38:59 am »

Heartily seconded :)
Report Spam   Logged
Leea25
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:12:26 am »

And 'thirded'! This is a marvellous site with a real sense of community. Thanks and congratulations to those who make it happen! :)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:38:46 am »

And 'thirded'! This is a marvellous site with a real sense of community. Thanks and congratulations to those who make it happen! :)
Can you 'fourth' something ? If so, consider it done. Amazing the effort enthusiasts are prepared to put in for evryone's benefit on the site; many thanks as always !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:15:49 am »

My apologies for not praising Syndey's hard work sooner :-[! The Index Nominum will be a great resource and a magnificent accomplishment when finished :). I also greatly appreciate how he provides links to my catalogues :). Allow me to "fifth" Colin's words ;D!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:39:20 pm »

And can I be supporter number 6 in line for both of them?

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:21:42 pm »

And can I be supporter number 6 in line for both of them?

Elroel

You can. If I may. #No.7
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest54
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:47 am »

Actually a good deal more praise is due to Member Albion, whose immense catalogue of British composers I have been looking at recently. Not only are all the composers' names arranged alphabetically, but their compositions too are consistently named, arranged, and available for download and audition at the click of a mouse. Albion's is a so far unmatched example and a signpost for the future! Now that I have a somewhat faster ISP I have been going through his whole British and Irish Music Archival Collection and downloading everything for my personal pleasure. There seems little need to incorporate details of the British composers and their works into my own index, since they are so easy to look up in Albion's catalogue, at least if you know they were British. I will - eventually - make a full entry for any composer among them who was born outside the U.K. - if there are any. But in the case of every ordinary Briton just a name with a link pointing to the British and Irish Music Archival Collection should suffice.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: