The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:46:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Future of Electronic Music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Future of Electronic Music  (Read 491 times)
some guy
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:58:43 pm »

Sydney, "well poisoning" is a common term for a logical fallacy. It is a subcategory of ad hominem, like claiming that many composers took a false step, and that they had so soon forgotten their harmony and counterpoint.

But I was also including in that things like "easy" and "mere" and "conglomerations" and even, in your context, "noises," which, it turns out, are examples of a subcategory of begging the question called loaded terms. Presenting as concluded what has yet to be proven.

The examples you then supply us in your next post are from 1959, 1961, and 1964. 45 to 50 years ago. A lot has happened since then. But maybe it's just a tense problem. I was expecting current composers when I read the words "have taken" as opposed to what would be a relevant accusation against the three you mention, namely "took." Still not an accusation I'd agree with,* but at least "took" would not have led me to expect an accusation against current practitioners of what is a fairly mature art form. At least sixty+ is more mature than 12+!

*I'd be inclined to agree with you about those specific pieces, though the sound quality of the broadcasts is pretty poor, and that has something to do with how we react to the sounds, after all, but also those are not the only electroacoustic pieces any of these people wrote.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: