The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:11:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Joseph Holbrooke (1878-1958)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Joseph Holbrooke (1878-1958)  (Read 3362 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2021, 09:24:35 am »

Speaking of Holbrooke......I mean Tommy Cooper! :o ;D What is,generally regarded as his best tv series,has recently been released on Dvd,by Network (Tommy Cooper the complete LWT Series).

I must look out for that... A man went to the doctor. He said, "Doctor, I've broken my arm in three places." And the doctor said, "Don't go there, then!"

JOSEPH HOLBROOKE

TOMMY COOPER

'Scuse my incontinent mirth!  Gareth, look away now.

:o

Concertinas, stier-horn in B, two grand pianos - c'mon BBC/ CPO/ anyone: Holbrooke costs but Holbrooke is worth it!

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2021, 07:34:03 pm »

Speaking of Holbrooke......I mean Tommy Cooper! :o ;D What is,generally regarded as his best tv series,has recently been released on Dvd,by Network (Tommy Cooper the complete LWT Series).

I must look out for that... A man went to the doctor. He said, "Doctor, I've broken my arm in three places." And the doctor said, "Don't go there, then!"

JOSEPH HOLBROOKE

TOMMY COOPER
Very funny! ;D I laughed out loud when I read it! Seeing his face helped (though it is a funny joke!). Holbrooke looks like the kind of audience every comedian dread's in that photo! He liked the music hall,though!
The LWT series I refer to is the one that ITV 4 have been repeating (Tommy Cooper - The Complete LWT Series). I got this from The British Comedy Guide:

"This classic sketch series features a veritable galaxy of guest stars: Ted Ray, Stubby Kaye, Richard Briers, Arthur Lowe, Joan Greenwood, Bernard Cribbins, Patrick Cargill, Tricia Noble, Vincent Price, Michael Bentine, Ronnie Barker, Thora Hird, Diana Dors, Ronnie Corbett, Liz Fraser and Eric Sykes. This release contains all thirteen episodes, complete and uncut".

I'm sure if Joseph Holbrooke had been around to watch the show,he'd have been,literally,crying with laughter!  (Well I'm just trying not to derail the thread,Albion! ::) ;D) I think the series shows Tommy Cooper at his best.  The guests are great! I remember watching the tapes (I made) with my father!

Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2021, 07:43:38 pm »

"This classic sketch series features a veritable galaxy of guest stars: Ted Ray, Stubby Kaye, Richard Briers, Arthur Lowe, Joan Greenwood, Bernard Cribbins, Patrick Cargill, Tricia Noble, Vincent Price, Michael Bentine, Ronnie Barker, Thora Hird, Diana Dors, Ronnie Corbett, Liz Fraser and Eric Sykes. This release contains all thirteen episodes, complete and uncut".

I'm sure if Joseph Holbrooke had been around to watch the show,he'd have been,literally,crying with laughter!  (Well I'm just trying not to derail the thread! ::) ;D) I think the series shows Tommy Cooper at his best.  The guests are great! I remember watching the tapes (I made) with my father!

I must track it down. My father and I used to watch him together and cry with laughter too, while my mother looked on with a totally straight face, saying, "I don't know what you both find so funny. He's just silly, that's all." I don't think she realised that was the point! Not to say my mother didn't have a sense of humour: she did, but it wasn't the same as ours! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2021, 07:51:03 pm »

I'm sure if Joseph Holbrooke had been around to watch the show,he'd have been,literally,crying with laughter!  (Well I'm just trying not to derail the thread,Albion! ::) ;D)

And why not, pray? That's what AMF's about - tangential and random posts about music and life in general (bacon 'n' all) with the odd tit-bit of brain-fodder thrown in. Thoughts are always more than welcome and it strikes me as one hell of a step up from...

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: