The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:16:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gunter Raphael Chamber Music Vol. 3 from Querstand

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gunter Raphael Chamber Music Vol. 3 from Querstand  (Read 269 times)
kyjo
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:00:33 pm »

Querstand will be releasing their third volume of Raphael's chamber music in mid-November. I am sorry, I do not know the contents of the CD yet-I will post them when I find them out. Let's hope CPO continues exploring Raphael's healthy body of orchestral music-I greatly enjoyed the set with his Symphonies 2-5 :). His 55-minute Symphony no. 1 sounds especially tantalising ;D!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »

This CD is already available from the German distributor jpc, where you also can find its contents:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/G%FCnter-Raphael-1903-1960-G%FCnter-Raphael-Vol-3-Kammermusik-nach-1946/hnum/2975488
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:05:31 pm »

I might add that though chamber music is definitely a major issue, the Querstand series is not restricted to it (cf. the first disc, which also contains a Concertino for Saxophone and Orchestra!). The plan is rather to give an idea of Raphael's (mostly non-vocal, except the Palmström Sonata) output in a series of five discs. In fact, Volume 4 will present orchestral works only, among them the Sinfonia breve op. 67.

I am glad Raphael's music finally gets some releases as well, and I will be happy to get more. I don't expect the First Symphony to be released soon, however - there must be some reason why CPO did not include it in their Günter Raphael symphonies set. Frankly, though I would certainly buy it myself at once if it was released, I think it is maybe not among the works which seem to be of greatest interest, as the personal stamp Raphael left on his pieces got the stronger the older he was. I especially recommend his late symphonies (in particular, the "Von der großen Weisheit" Choral Symphony) and his Second Violin Concerto, but also his late chamber music, which is magnificently composed in my view - often somewhere between grotesque and great expression, and extremely good even in pieces of smallest scope and seemingly modest demand (look at what he made out of the pieces for two violins, which are intended to be for study in fact!). I already have that Volume 3 of the Günter Raphael Edition, by the way.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: