The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:01:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mikhail Pletnev the Composer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mikhail Pletnev the Composer  (Read 345 times)
kyjo
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:48:49 am »

I've recently learned that the famous Russian conductor Mikhail Pletnev is also a composer! His "Fantasia Elvetica" (2006) for two pianos and orchestra is on the EMI 3-CD set "Martha Agerich and Friends at the Lugano Festival 2008". I have not heard it, but the review on ArkivMusic says the following: "Needless to say for a work coming from the pen of a pianist, it is composed with idiomatic flair for the two soloists (Argerich and Mogilevsky), but otherwise it is not a work of much consequence". I really don't want to be buying a 3-CD set of otherwise famous music for a 31-minute piece which may not be very good! Still, I am interested in his compositions, which include (according to Wikipedia):

-Quintet for piano, flute, violin, viola, and cello (1978)
-Triptych for orchestra (1979)
-Classical Symphony (1988)
-Viola Concerto (1977)
-Variations on a Theme of Rachmaninov (2000) (if it's orchestral, I'd really like to hear it!)
-Adagio for five double basses (2000)
-Cello Sonata (2006)
-Jazz Suite (2009)

So, has anyone heard the Fantasia or anything else by Pletnev, and, if so, what do you think of his music :)?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

albert
Level 3

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:41 am »

I have heard the Fantasia several times; not because it is difficult listening. On the contrary it is a very traditional (and even "easy") work that I found regularly exilarating, literally funny. 31 minutes, but no boredom. (I have read other critics who have dealt about with more than snobbery).
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 03:56:12 pm »

Thank you very much for your reply, Alberto :).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: