The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:58:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New CPO Releases for October

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New CPO Releases for October  (Read 334 times)
kyjo
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:03:48 pm »

Here are some new CPO releases that should be of interest (see here: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/home):

-Ludvig Irgrens-Jensen (1894-1969): Symphony; Partita Sinfonica; Air; "Kong Baldvines Armring-Suite"; Rondo Marziale; Passacaglia (2 CDs) (Trondheim SO/Eivind Aadland)
Although an excellent Naxos CD of his Symphony, Passacaglia, and Air appeared last year, I am looking forward to this 2-disc set of music by this excellent composer :).

-Arnold Mendelssohn (1855-1933): String Quartets op. 67 and 83 (Reinhold Quartett)
I am not a big fan of 19th-century German chamber music, however pleasant it may be, but this release sounds quite intriguing due to CPO's description of the music being in "an expressive late-romantic style". Hopefully these will not be mere Brahms clones, like some chamber music from this time and place is.

-Friedrich Graf (1727-1795): Flute Concertos (Gaby Pas-Van Riet, flute; Sudwestdeutsches Kammerorchester Profzheim/Johannes Moesus)
Of minority interest I know, but sometimes you need a break from the heavy stuff by listening to classical era flute concertos!

-Richard Eilenberg (1848-1925): Light Orchestal Pieces "Petersburger Schlittenfahrt" (WDR RO Koln/Christian Simonis)
Another release on the lighter side, could be a delightful listen!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:49:59 pm »

So........no Henk Badings, no Edvin Kallstenius, no Johann Nepomuk David ::) ::)

CPO can drive me insane at times. It IS a wonderful company and they DO release fantastic repertoire BUT they take SO long to get it out ::)

We were promised the first release in the Kallstenius series at least a year ago. Johannes Wildner actually recorded David's Symphonies Nos. 2 and 4 in September 2008. That is over FOUR years ago now >:( Nos. 1 and 6 were recorded in February and March 2011.

For those of us of an advanced and advancing age group ;D ;D this sort of delay is intolerable.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:32:05 pm »

I share your frustrations, Colin. The thing that really irks me is that they release CDs we had no idea were going to come out, but they don't release ones that have been promised to us for years now :o >:(! That's why I'm not going to write to Mr. Schmilgun about recording the Rankl symphonies because I want CPO to concentratate on releasing the massive backpile of recordings we have been expecting. I'd have nothing wrong with CPO releasing CDs we hadn't known they would come out with if they would just release those CDs of recordings made as long as four years ago!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 01:27:20 am »

well Kyjo (and Colin) I agree that we sometimes have to wait, but on the other hand the label offered so many surprises that we mustn't only complain!
I think that we can expect a lot of other so neglected works, because Mr Schmilgun must have about the same taste of music as we do. Maybe the cycles will not be complete shortly, but every now and then he gives us, or at least me, a big surprise with composers that were 'music-book' composers (you find the in the books, but never hear any of their works) before.

Apart from the composers you mention, I have another one that needs to be completed on cd: Julius Röntgen.

So we hope, and stay alive!

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 01:43:35 am »

Thanks for your wise words, Elroel :). I must admit I was a little harsh on CPO, for they have filled many gaps in the recorded repertory with their enterprising recordings. But, I'd at least like to see them start to release their David and Kallstenius symphonies CDs so I know that they are indeed going to eventually give us a cycle!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: