The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:48:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Walter Thomas Gaze Cooper (1895-1981)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walter Thomas Gaze Cooper (1895-1981)  (Read 2641 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:31:24 am »

This name will be familiar to members (former and current) of UC. There will be a free hour-long concert of Cooper's music in Nottingham on Saturday 27th October at 11.00am - the venue is St Peter's Church in the town centre. Curiously, the advertising handbill describes the event as

A celebration of the music of Nottingham composer Walter "Gaze" Cooper (1895-1953), fifty years after his death.

:o

Anyway, I will try to get along to the event and report back.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:36:30 am »

How peculiar that not only is the date of death wrong, neither that nor the correct date is fifty years ago! Still, how wonderful for him to get a full concert to himself. I wish I could fly over and hear it! Yes, please let us know how it goes, John and thank you.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 03:44:06 pm »

I've often wondered what his music is like,ever since reading about him in a BMS newsletter (or Journal?). The uploads I've heard are in very poor sound & they don't really tell you anything about his music. His Symphony No 4 'The West Wind',has a humming chorus! Will I ever get to hear that I wonder?! And will it be worth the wait?
Well,my curiosity will have been sated....so,probably! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:49:35 pm »

The recordings I heard were definitely and decidedly extremely underwhelming ;D

Whether the music would sound better in professional, well-recorded performance I cannot tell but any composer deserves at least that.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »

As recordings & performances they must be amongst the worst I've ever heard. But he composed allot & creativity is pretty hard work,as I know from bitter experience :(,so it would be nice if his efforts could rewarded by a nice state of the art recording. Give the fellow a sporting chance,I say! ;D There may be some good Gaze Cooper out there,somewhere?!!
Having said that,I'd be the first to admit that a complete cycle of Daniel Jones symphonies is a good deal higher up on my cd 'wish list'!
And,of course,you can hear just how enthralling THEY are,here! :)

I look forward to Albions report,anyway!
If he gets there.........

Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:17:32 pm »

I have never been able to locate of photo of Gaze Cooper. Does anyone know of one?
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:30:26 pm »

Here he is, sitting at the piano with some pupils: http://einestages.spiegel.de/hund-images/2011/02/22/82/23b8f636026c753c5fd38e0f802fbbbb_image_document_large_featured_borderless.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:03:04 pm »

Thank you!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »

I look forward to Albions report,anyway!
If he gets there.........

As it's only a couple of miles away, there's a half-way decent chance I'll poll up for it ...

;)

I'm still intrigued as to where a death-date of 1953 came from - although another source apparently thinks that even this was too long a life-span for the poor chap - http://www.musicweb-international.com/BMSPROF.HTM

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 02:34:03 pm »

A brief report on the concert in Nottingham: the works played (very proficiently by local musicians) were as follows -

Sonatina, for piano, Op.5
i. Allegro
ii. Andante
iii. Vivace

Nocturne, for piano, Op.56 No.2

Storyette, for piano, Op.8a
i. Invitation to the Party
ii. A disappointment
iii. A surprise

Romantic Sketches (Set 1), for piano, Op.8b
1. Harvest Moon (Nocturne)
ii. Falling Leaves (Caprice)

Humoresque, for piano, Op.23 No.4

String Quartet, Elegie, Op.74

Sonatina for oboe and piano, Op.86
i. Moderato
ii. Lento ma non troppo
iii. Poco con brio

Piano Quintette, Seasound - A Rhapsody of the Sea, Op.31

The selection gave a fascinating overview of Cooper's smaller-scale work, including a Chopinesque Nocturne, Op.56 No.2 and what sounded very much like a hommage to Brahms (the Humoreque, Op.23 No.4). More startling, harmonically speaking, were the two larger chamber works which were imbued with a fair degree of dissonance: the Elegie dealt with fragmentary and elusive melodic cells passed around the string quartet (with a cruelly exposed high first violin part), whilst Seasound depicted, for the most part, a very turbulent seascape as the piano thundered against string tremolandos with plenty of whole-tone wash. I was briefly reminded of Cyril Scott, whereas Gareth Vaughan (who I was pleasantly not-surprised-at-all to see at the concert as well) thought more Arnold Bax. Either way, it was certainly an effective and very graphic piece, which rounded the concert off in a very positive manner. For me, the highlight of the entire event was the Sonatina for oboe and piano, Op.86 - beautifully and idiomatically written for both instruments (as, by now, we knew it would be) the piece has a cool and poised demeanour very much in the line (but not imitative) of Poulenc's chamber music.

I'm aware that I've referenced a number of composers' styles, but that is perhaps the easiest way of giving some idea of the range of music that was performed (it is certainly not intended to give the idea that everything on offer was mere pastiche). Cooper was clearly far from being just a gifted amateur, and during the hour we also heard from a number of his pupils who recalled the professionalism, dedication and good humour of the man (as composer, teacher, pianist, conductor and friend). The impression I got overall was that there is probably much more to Cooper than meets the eye (given his complete disappearance from programmes and literature). I was left wondering about all those symphonies, tone poems and concertos ...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 12:51:13 am »

Thank you very much for giving us this review and commentary: extremely helpful (even if it leaves me frustratedly longing for some recordings!).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »

I second that! Ever since reading about Gaze Cooper in a BMS newsletter,back in the 80s I think,I have been intrigued about this composer! The name certainly helps! 'Gaze Cooper' would look great on the front of a cd,even if the music wasn't!! ;D
And now a review! And let's face it,the world isn't exactly swimming in reviews of Gaze Cooper!!! And this one is positive. Good!

I understand Cameo Classics are interested in this composer & they have already recorded a small piece,which I am afraid I haven't bought (hypocrite! :-[)....but the price (only available from CC) & the other items have discouraged me!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: