The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:49:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Unsung Rachmaninovian Piano Concertos

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unsung Rachmaninovian Piano Concertos  (Read 2943 times)
kyjo
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 02:59:07 am »

Now that I've thought about it, the PC of Sir Arthur Bliss has its moments of Rachmaninovian heroics, if not being explicitly Rachmaninovian.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 06:37:19 am »

And there is Pancho Vladigerov and his 5 piano concerti.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:06 am »

And there is Pancho Vladigerov and his 5 piano concerti.

Indeed, especially PC 1. I still haven't gotten around to listening to his PCs 4 and 5-a situation which I hope to rectify in due time....
Report Spam   Logged
dholling
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 10:59:18 pm »

Howells' Piano Concerto no. I
Stanford's Piano Concerto no. II
Atterberg's one & Glazunov's 1st (both to an extent).
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 09:21:14 am »

I just listened to the Piano Concerto No.3 "Ave Maria" by Alemdar Karamanov and found some similarities with both Tchaikovsky, early Scriabin, and Rachmaninov concerto.  In fact it quotes Tchaikovsky which is somewhat unusual considering the composer died six years ago and had his sound so firmly in tradition.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 07:59:01 pm »

I just listened to the Piano Concerto No.3 "Ave Maria" by Alemdar Karamanov and found some similarities with both Tchaikovsky, early Scriabin, and Rachmaninov concerto.  In fact it quotes Tchaikovsky which is somewhat unusual considering the composer died six years ago and had his sound so firmly in tradition.

Thanks for sharing this-I have that Marco Polo CD in my collection, but it's been ages since I've played it (if I even played it at all)!
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 03:20:25 am »

Richard Faith's Piano Concerto 2 (1975) has luscious melodies that I think any fan of Rachmaninov would like. To my knowledge the work has not been commercially recorded, but I heard it via a stereo tape of what I take to be the premiere. Perhaps Karl Miller has a copy of that tape.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 12:04:58 am »

I recently discovered the piano concerto by Anatoly Kos-Anatolsky, which is a real rip-snorting barn-storming bravura piece in the Rachmaninoff style that would really knock audiences for six. Sadly, all the links to it on the web point to the same performance which sounds as if it was recorded in a swimming pool.

Better recording up front now please!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 01:56:32 am »

yes .. its the same recording that appeared on CD in 2004 from Ukraine...on RosTok Records...
probably a boot leg from the LP or master tape...I think its the same one on classical-music-online.net.

Dave
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 02:00:13 am »

lets not forget Auster, Feinberg, Gasanov, Lemba's 1st, Taktakishvili's 1st, and Zilinskis also
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 02:48:13 am »

lets not forget Auster, Feinberg, Gasanov, Lemba's 1st, Taktakishvili's 1st, and Zilinskis also

I know the Feinberg (more influenced by Scriabin than Rach IMO), Lemba, and Taktakishvili PCs, but not the others. Thanks to you and Gauk for the recs!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 02:58:49 am »

In my estimate the PC in B-flat minor of Ilmari Hannikainen (1892-1955, exact contemporary of Honegger!) is a major find:

This work is certainly on par with the Atterberg PC and is its equal in melodic fecundity and passion. There are some impressionistic touches here and there which lighten the atmosphere, bringing to mind the PCs of Selim Palmgren. Unfortunately, Hannikainen was not very prolific and (besides the PC) only left behind an opera, a piano quartet, solo piano works, and a couple film scores. His untimely death was brought about by him drowning in a boating accident, which his compatriot Aarre Merikanto believed to be a suicide. On the evidence of the PC, he was a great loss to the musical world. :(
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 11:39:35 am »

He was 63 when he died, so even if he had lived, he might not have composed much more.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 08:25:13 pm »

Check out the Danzins Piano Concerto No 2 in the Latvian Composers Download section.   Very nice.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 08:31:24 pm »

Check out the Danzins Piano Concerto No 2 in the Latvian Composers Download section.   Very nice.

Cool-thanks for the tip!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: