The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:26:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Unsung Rachmaninovian Piano Concertos

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unsung Rachmaninovian Piano Concertos  (Read 2926 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 05:46:12 am »

This unsung piece/composer will get your attention..
I think he picks up where Rachmaninoff left off..terrific ultra-romantic piece..
(Turn down the player volume, it is over-attenuated a bit

Kossenko, Viktor (1896 –1938)  - Piano Concerto   
Andre Navarra (violoncello),Artur Nikulin (piano)
http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/41116
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »

I think he picks up where Rachmaninoff left off..terrific ultra-romantic piece..

I know the Kosenko PC and it is indeed marvelous!
Report Spam   Logged
SerAmantiodiNicolao
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 08:45:31 pm »

And there is Pancho Vladigerov and his 5 piano concerti.

This is actually what I came here to post.  I heard the Third for the first time the other night - lovely work.  Absolutely gorgeous.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 08:46:06 pm »

I know the Kosenko PC and it is indeed marvelous!
I thought you might, I'm glad it has some notoriety..he has some other attractive works at that site..very gifted man..
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 02:05:27 am »

https://www.lereflet.qc.ca/saint-constant-celebre-de-nouveau-musique-dandre-mathieu/
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 04:03:01 pm »

There's also the (until recently) very much unsung English composer of several piano concertos Roger Sacheverell Coke (pronounced "Cook") which undoubtedly fit the bill here.

While on the subject of English composers, another whose one all too rarely performed piano concerto is not without Rachmaninoff influence (although perhaps rather more notably that of Shostakovich and of Prokofiev) was a pianist who knew all of those Russian concertos intimately - John Ogdon; as far as I know, Peter Donohoe's the only pianist other than the composer to have performed it but he's not played it for years; this is quite a shame, as it's one of John's more successful works and would, I believe, be quite a wow with audiences.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 05:06:21 pm »

lets not forget Lūcija Garūta.  Her Piano Concerto was just released last year.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Dec/Garuta_piano_056.HTM

If you haven't purchased this CD yet, I would encourage you to do so soon.   My recollection, is this is a limited edition CD and will be out of print in a few years.

Perhaps, this thread should be called Unsung Romantic Piano Concertos? 

Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 01:42:02 am »

Might I suggest my own Piano Concerto from 2016?  It is a 30 minute concerto scored for solo piano, 2 flutes, piccolo, 2 oboes, 2 clarinet, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, timpani, 3 percussion, harp, and strings. 

You can hear an excerpt here:
https://soundcloud.com/karelm-1/karimelm-concertanteend

Somewhere between Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, and me.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2018, 01:28:25 am »

Miklos Rosza's Spellbound concerto is a very fine example of this style:

Don't let his career as a film composer dissuade you.  Rosza was first and foremost a fantastic composer who happened to make his living in cinema.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 03:33:12 pm »

Might I suggest my own Piano Concerto from 2016?  It is a 30 minute concerto scored for solo piano, 2 flutes, piccolo, 2 oboes, 2 clarinet, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, timpani, 3 percussion, harp, and strings. 

Somewhere between Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, and me.

It's excellent! Didn't know that you were a composer (hopefully not 'unsung').  :)
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 12:52:39 am »

Somewhere between Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, and me.

It's excellent! Didn't know that you were a composer (hopefully not 'unsung').  :)

Thank you!  Some of my work has been heard by millions of people but they might not have known it was from me!  I don't know if I am unsung.  I get better luck with works lasting 10 to 15 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 10:55:53 pm »

Thank you!  Some of my work has been heard by millions of people but they might not have known it was from me!  I don't know if I am unsung.  I get better luck with works lasting 10 to 15 minutes.
Well, on the basis of your PC of 2016 it should be heard by millions of people.
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 12:44:39 am »

Cheers, mate.  Much appreciated!  I had an opportunity to get it performed but unfortunately, the orchestra couldn't find a pianist who would be willing to devote the time to learn a 30 minute concerto that isn't in standard repertoire and I am not a virtuoso pianist to take this on.  It's just a lot to ask a skilled pianist and you need a formidable budget to make this happen.  My magnum opus is my hour long symphony which is dramatic and in four movements.  It uses a large orchestra (basically a modern orchestra) but with enlarged percussion section (seven performers minimum in the last movement).  I am currently working on a second symphony which is a commission so has a good chance at a performance but will be more modest in dimensions to adhere to performance practicalities.  Cheers.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 09:50:50 am »

Cheers, mate.  Much appreciated!  I had an opportunity to get it performed but unfortunately, the orchestra couldn't find a pianist who would be willing to devote the time to learn a 30 minute concerto that isn't in standard repertoire and I am not a virtuoso pianist to take this on.  It's just a lot to ask a skilled pianist and you need a formidable budget to make this happen.  My magnum opus is my hour long symphony which is dramatic and in four movements.  It uses a large orchestra (basically a modern orchestra) but with enlarged percussion section (seven performers minimum in the last movement).  I am currently working on a second symphony which is a commission so has a good chance at a performance but will be more modest in dimensions to adhere to performance practicalities.  Cheers.
Is there a recording of your Symphony 1? A pity you can't find a performer for the PC 3 which is super. I've found your website so I know where you are coming from. Keep up the good work!
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 01:27:17 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thank you, kind sir!
[/quote]
Is there a recording of your Symphony 1? A pity you can't find a performer for the PC 3 which is super. I've found your website so I know where you are coming from. Keep up the good work!
[/quote]
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: