The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:56:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Good fugues

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good fugues  (Read 307 times)
guest2
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:58:49 pm »

Does any one know any really good fugues, apart from Bach's? I was listening to-day to Busoni's Variations and fugue on a theme of Chopin, and while it is well worth a hearing it remains strangely unsatisfactory. The same may be said of Reger's fugues, and indeed of Beethoven's (Grosse Fugue, Hammerklavier, etc.). Perhaps it is something to do with the unexpected harmonic progressions generated by their counterpoint.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

increpatio
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 01:34:55 pm »

I think that shostakovich's A major fugue is a really good one in particular (i won't comment on this recording in particular).

I find several of Kapustin's and Castelnuovo-Tedesco's fugues to be Really Very good.  I can't think of particular ones to recommend off the top of my head.

Of the other recent fugue-writers, I think Henry Martin is also significant (he did a set of 24 preludes and fugues a couple of years back); though I think you might reject the fugue status of some of his fugues on formal grounds.

(If there would be interest in hearing any of the above I could have a rummage around).

[igor rehkin's fugues for solo guitar I've looked at a few times, but I've not really gotten into/out of them too much].

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: