The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:11:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Naxos Maxwell Davies Symphonies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Naxos Maxwell Davies Symphonies  (Read 589 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:36 pm »

It's good to see that Naxos aren't hanging around with their PMD reissues -

is due out at the end of October.

Hopefully this symphony series is just part of an ongoing arrangement to release a broader array of Max's music. The previous releases were

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:20:27 am »

I've been delightedly picking these up as they are released. If anyone remembers, I think I said in the Other Place (when Max was still persona grata) what a shame it was that the symphonies of the Master of the Queen's Music should be mostly unavailable on CD. By the way, is he Master for all the Queen's countries like Canada and Jamaica, or do they have their own?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:33:52 am »

Fabulous news ;D! I hope Naxos (or somebody else) will also record his 7th, 8th, and 9th symphonies, which have not been commercially recorded yet.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:12:02 am »

I've been delightedly picking these up as they are released. If anyone remembers, I think I said in the Other Place (when Max was still persona grata) what a shame it was that the symphonies of the Master of the Queen's Music should be mostly unavailable on CD. By the way, is he Master for all the Queen's countries like Canada and Jamaica, or do they have their own?

What an interesting question :)

The Queen is Head of State of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland but is also the Queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Grenada, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea, St.Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St.Vincent and the Grenadines, the Solomon Islands and Tuvalu. (Bermuda, the Falkland Islands, Gibraltar and St. Helena are British Overseas Territories...what used to be called "Colonies" ;D).

However, since the Master of the Queen's Music is a member of the Royal Household and since the Queen's representative in the countries listed above is a Governor-General (each with his or her own "household") I would assume that PMD's remit does not extend to providing music outside the British Isles :)

What is also interesting is that PMD's appointment was for 10 years not for life and that his term will therefore end in 2014. It may be that, since he will be 80 in 2014 PMD will chose to resign an appointment he has not necessarily found terribly congenial ;D ;D

And if he does retire......who then ??? ???

Remember Sir William Walton's famous comment when Malcolm Williamson was appointed ???   "They got the wrong Malcolm!"
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 05:10:49 am »

Any word if Naxos is just reissuing these Collins Classics CDs, or if they actually have plans to do the other three symphonies (in new recordings, of course)? I remember liking the Antarctic Symphony quite a bit. Also, I've heard reports that there is a tenth symphony in the works, even.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 07:10:46 am »

From the composer's website (http://www.maxopus.com), earlier this year -

27 MAR 2012

NAXOS RE-RELEASES 17 MAXWELL DAVIES DISCS

This spring sees the first in a 17-disc series of re-releases by Naxos of the long-unavailable Collins Classics catalogue of Maxwell Davies's music. In a move which makes eight symphonies, numerous concerti, chamber, instrumental, vocal and musical theatre works attainable once more not only on CD but also for download, Naxos adds these recordings to their existing catalogue of Maxwell Davies's music on disc which includes his collection of 10 Naxos String Quartets which were commissioned by the record label.

The mention of eight symphonies implies that Naxos will source other recordings outside the Collins catalogue - weren't 7 and 8 available from the composer's site at some point?

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 02:27:40 pm »

No. 8 "The Antarctic Symphony" was available from MaxOpus.

I have it :) :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: