The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:48:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Which composer is the least dispensible?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which composer is the least dispensible?  (Read 1263 times)
guest2
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:22:07 am »

If you could have the works of only one of them, which would you prefer to keep: Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Brahms?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

John Cummins
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:35:24 pm »

If you could have the works of only one of them, which would you prefer to keep: Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Brahms?

At first, each seems indispensable.  Brahms's structural & harmonic advances and underlying ardency; Beethoven, for being, essentially, the Romantic Bach; Mozart, for the marriage of human heart and mind with superhuman, almost alien, powers. 

But all 'flow' from Bach: e.g., advanced harmony from the chorales, motivic development from the chorale preludes, structure and ardency from all over, and superhuman enough. 

If Schubert were added to the list would he be the first to go? 

Report Spam   Logged
Milly Jones
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:04:31 pm »

I would keep Mozart personally, but Bach is nevertheless indispensable.  All of these composers flow from one another.  Schubert is my next favourite after Mozart.   It is a very difficult question because each is indispensable in a different way.
Report Spam   Logged
Reiner Torheit
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 10:18:13 pm »

Beethoven.  The others are dispensible.  Only Beethoven gives voice to the human soul.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:20:15 pm by Reiner Torheit » Report Spam   Logged
Roehre
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:21:33 pm »

Voluntarily I would take either Beethoven or Brahms, and leave Mozart and Bach.
The first two do appeal to me much more than Mozart or JSBach do, and I do think that although it generally is nice music (but no more than that), approximately 75% of Mozart's work is not better than  contemporary works by others anyway.

And with a gun put to my head: Beethoven.
Report Spam   Logged
biroc
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:08:07 am »

Bach.
Report Spam   Logged
smittims
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:49:42 am »

Not long ago I would have said Mozart, but I'm coming to think that Beethoven is more important to me personally.

Each has something the other hasn't. Mozart is so good for one's sanity because of his healthy attitude of acceptance towards life. He seems to be one of those people who takes life's buffets and rewards with an equal grace, whereas Beethoven did make a lot of his own problems by his expectations of others. But in the end I think he knew more truly what the struggle was about.

I'm very glad that I don't have to choose between them . In many ways, Schubert has the best of them both, and  I never tire of him.

Report Spam   Logged
Dear Prudence
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 03:10:39 pm »

For me, Mozart I can do without but I could not survive without Beethoven.  As Reiner says, he gives voice to the human soul.
Report Spam   Logged
Serenus Zeitblom
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 05:15:54 pm »

Only Beethoven gives voice to the human soul.

Janacek as well, perhaps?

I don't think I could answer this question at all sensibly.  Bach, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, Wagner - all indispensible in their different ways.
Report Spam   Logged
Tony Watson
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 06:55:54 pm »

Of these, it would have to be Mozart for me, as the only one of the four I can listen to any time and who excelled in just about every musical genre. But if I could choose any other composer, then it would be Prokofiev.
Report Spam   Logged
Reiner Torheit
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 11:47:34 pm »

Janacek as well, perhaps?

Yes, but his name doesn't begin with "B.." ;)  I managed to catch KATYA KABANOVA in Cambridge this week on a brief visit to UK - and what you say about the human soul is certainly in that extraordinary piece.
Report Spam   Logged
A
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 07:12:28 pm »

For me I could live without Mozart and Beethoven but I would find it hard to choose between Brahms and Bach as I listen to and play both regularly. With a gun to my head - Bach , as I can listen to , and play his music in most moods.

A tricky one Gerard !
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 09:38:52 am »

I am late on this thread, but still want to reply.

I think each composer add something to our understanding of life and ourselves. It is great to have them all.

I love Bach. I love Mozart's grace and Beethoven with his struggles. At the end he accepts and his anwer to question - Must it be -  yes it must.
I think I can do without Brahms. I love his violin sonatas and his piano variations and Intermezzos. I love his symphonies too. But if they will put gun to my head I would probably give up Brahms.
But I love them all.
I loved meeting my friends here and to hear their opinions. Many things are personal.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: