The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:30:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

George Dyson on Naxos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Dyson on Naxos  (Read 331 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:38:05 pm »

According to the Dyson Trust:

GEORGE DYSON
The Bach Choir conducted by David Hill will record Dyson's early Choral Symphony together with his colourful score of St. Paul's Voyage to Melita  with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra for Naxos. It is an exciting prospect to have the unknown Choral Symphony available on disc together with a much needed new recording of St Paul's Voyage. The Choral Symphony was discovered by Paul Spicer at the Bodleian Library during his researches for Dyson's biography and was first performed in St. John's Smith Square to great acclaim.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:18:16 pm »

I could find very little about this Choral Symphony on the Dyson Trust website (they complete list of works has not been updated since well before the discovery in Oxford) but I found this on the University of Durham site.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/music/about/news/?itemno=20375

Dyson was an excellent composer and it will indeed be exciting to look forward to this piece. I don't know how long it is ("St. Paul's Voyage to Melita" is 30 minutes in length) but since we are told that it is in four movements it is clearly a work of some substance.

Thanks for the heads-up :)
Report Spam   Logged
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:22:01 pm »

I am not familiar with his music.  How would you describe it?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:22:19 pm »

The work is 40 minutes in duration.

http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_concert_review.php?id=11834
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 04:24:47 pm »

I love Dyson's Symphony in G, especially the final movement, and have both the Chandos and Naxos versions.  I listen to 'St. Paul's Voyage' at regular intervals and as much as I would listen to 'The Canterbury Pilgrims', 'Nebuchadnezzar' and the final of 'Quo Vadis'.

Whilst, being an early piece, my expectations of the Choral Symphony are limited, the new Naxos CD is a definite buy when it comes out. ::)  [I have since read Dundonnell's links and the work looks an intriguing prospect].

I was put off Dyson when I purchased his Violin Concerto in the mid-1990s, although I subsequently came to admire the work.  I was totally won over by 'The Canterbury Pilgrims' and, more slowly, by 'In Honour of the City'.  I agree that Dyson is an excellent composer. ;D

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 04:31:26 pm »

I am not familiar with his music.  How would you describe it?

The linked review should give you an idea. I suppose "early Vaughan Williams" is what one might (crudely) expect of the Dyson Choral Symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 12:15:38 pm »

I always welcome new Dyson, and 'early VW' sounds good to me! The Violin Concerto is one of my favourite pieces of all time, certainly my favourite in that genre.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: