The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:21:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Bach's symbolic motifs

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bach's symbolic motifs  (Read 305 times)
guest54
« on: May 06, 2012, 02:43:46 pm »

Mr. Cope the curious northern american has come up with something interesting; he points out in his book "Computer Models of Musical Creativity" that this theme represents the Cross:

And he adds that "competent listeners of the time were familiar with this meaning and would have recognized it in Bach's fugue subject." (Actually I think he got this idea from a Mr. Eero Tarasti, whom he quotes, and who must be some kind of foreigner to have such a name must he not. A Finn perhaps?)

I realized it was a tremendously serious work but this signification had until now somehow escaped me. I suppose some one will come back now and point out how Bach's œuvre is full of such things.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »

I suppose some one will come back now and point out how Bach's œuvre is full of such things.

I believe our occasional member Baziron is especially well informed on such matters.  Let us hope he may drop by?
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:16:44 pm »

I suppose some one will come back now and point out how Bach's œuvre is full of such things.

I believe our occasional member Baziron is especially well informed on such matters.  Let us hope he may drop by?
Well, while we wait for that to happen, would this not somehow make Bach himself a kind of flattened cross, given the nature of his widely known musical acronym by comparison to this motif? And might there be some kind of significance in the fact that this motif, transposed and with the order of its notes changed, can be made to turn into the almost equally well known acronym of Shostakovich? And what of the very similar four-note motif that is common to the second, third and fourth of Beethoven's last five quartets?

The answers here (if forthcoming) may well turn out to be vastly larger than the question, methinks!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:31:23 am »

. . . while we wait for that to happen . . .
I fear Mr. B. devotes more attention these days to his new-found interest of crop circles . . .
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: