The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:25:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

David, Johann Nepomuk and great new site for composer info

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David, Johann Nepomuk and great new site for composer info  (Read 576 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2014, 04:39:01 am »

First, I do know that CPO is working on the David symphonic cycle, which will be greatly appreciated.

In searching for the David's first symphony, missing opus numbers and dates for some posted works at A&M and other orchestral works bt David, I ran across German site which has extensive listings for a wide variety of composers, many unknown to me.
While there are some incomplete (see below) I wondered if it might be useful here.

As I am lousy at details, I leave it to the musicologists, but I do know some are more complete than Wikipedia and was especially helpful for providing David composition dates and opus numbers (Organ concerto and Waltzes for one example).

Adding to David's dilemma, I see he has music posted under Germany and Austria here at A&M.
any who, any feedback would be deeply appreciated.

Two pages of works for David by opus number (includes date composed)
it starts with opus 18, and this list has some holes
http://www.klassika.info/Komponisten/David_JN/wv_opus.html

But a better example are 6 pages of works by Jean Absil, opus ending with 162 with just a few missing(ie..6,14,22-24,29)
http://www.klassika.info/Komponisten/Absil/wv_opus_1.html

Or the 10 pages for Algernon Ashton(who dat?), opus ending in no 174..
http://www.klassika.info/Komponisten/Ashton_ABL/wv_opus_10.html

There are more holes, as Hovhaness is far from complete
http://www.klassika.info/Komponisten/Hovhaness_Alan/wv_opus.html

But Bliss on the other hand has 102 postings ending in opus 122.
http://www.klassika.info/Komponisten/Bliss/wv_opus_5.html

Sample of first page of composers;
http://www.klassika.info/Komponisten/index_A1.html

I hope the info is somehow useful..
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:22:28 pm »

Hmm.
I can't seem to find the Nepomuk David 6th symphony here, has it been posted
and could I have the link to the post??
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 11:54:37 pm »

It has to be said that many of the compositions previously downloaded were made available to members of the Unsung Composers Forum. Many-but by no means all-of the members of this site were or still are members there. I am therefore guilty of making the assumption that because I acquired the piece there that this previous availability apples to others. I have no means of knowing where all of the many, many hundreds (nay, thousands) of downloaded files I have in my collection came from originally. The J.N. David Symphony No.6 quite possibly came via UC.

I can upload the file and post the link..........but I need to point out that the symphony is now on a CPO disc in proper sound quality.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 01:09:49 am »

Did find a link at uc by eric schissel but have not checked i yet.
 Hans Müller-Kray/Stuttgart Radio - announced I think- my understanding is poor, but this conductor did have David's music in his repertoire. Anyone? Not sure of date but should be possible to find out. Bielekat lists Kray recordings of Fortner and other works but not David... Worldcat turns up nothing, likewise.

Symphony No.6 (1954):
I.Allegro (6'30")
II. Adagio (9'08")
III. Valser - Rondo: Allegro (with Triple Fugue) (15'08")

Link.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:41:54 am »

It has to be said that many of the compositions previously downloaded were made available to members of the Unsung Composers Forum. Many-but by no means all-of the members of this site were or still are members there. I am therefore guilty of making the assumption that because I acquired the piece there that this previous availability apples to others. I have no means of knowing where all of the many, many hundreds (nay, thousands) of downloaded files I have in my collection came from originally. The J.N. David Symphony No.6 quite possibly came via UC.

I can upload the file and post the link..........but I need to point out that the symphony is now on a CPO disc in proper sound quality.

Dundonnel, please post..thanks and I would appreciate hearing  it here before buying the CD.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:50:37 am »

. . . the 10 pages for Algernon Ashton . . .

Gosh! for a moment I thought that site was offering performances of each of those compositions . . . it is bound to come to pass just a few years from now: a site perhaps entitled "Art-Music of the world - complete. Click and listen to every piece of music ever composed, by every composer (as well as click and read the score)." Perhaps it will even be sold in shops as a kind of super DVD: "special offer, all classical music ever written, £2.99"

Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:58:20 am »

. . . the 10 pages for Algernon Ashton . . .

Gosh! for a moment I thought that site was offering performances of each of those compositions . . . it is bound to come to pass just a few years from now: a site perhaps entitled "Art-Music of the world - complete. Click and listen to every piece of music ever composed, by every composer (as well as click and read the score)." Perhaps it will even be sold in shops as a kind of super DVD: "special offer, all classical music ever written, £2.99"

sorry, I did not mean to mislead..just posted some info about Who dat?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:51:48 pm »

Just wondering if anyone has provided a complete list of all of David's music..here is another incomplete list that I found and it lacks opus numbers..
Besides the 8 numbered symphonies and 3 unnumbered, it does include 3 Concertos (apparently) for Orchestra, 3 Violin Concertos, Dbl Concerto Violin and Viola, Flute Concerto, Organ Concerto, a Chaconne, 2 Partitas for Orchestra, a Requiem, and a number of other interesting works ,
http://www.musicsalesclassical.com/composer/works/2580/0

David's music has created a dilemma for me and I would like to see more discussion about it.
I think CPO has found a real winner here, although he is not an easy listen and is unique, to be sure.
But the rewards are there if you let the music take you where David wants to go, not where YOU think it should go.

His music is densely orchestrated, angular at times, with some extremes in volume and some edgy tonality...all seemingly undesireable traits.
A Panopoly of composers of influence(that I hear):  Mahler(almost a parody of), Krenek, Wellusz and KA Hartman, and in his 8th symphony listen for the undulating echoes of Vermeullen.
Please be advised that when I first heard Davids music I was not impressed, and other may be unimpressed as well.
What sounds like mindless and purposeless meandering to some may eventually sound ingenious to others and I welcome other perspectives..
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:23 am »

Adding to David's dilemma, I see he has music posted under Germany and Austria here at A&M.

Thanks for pointing that out JR. I have inserted a note to that effect in the Austrian music department.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: